Partner: Common Wealth of Learning (COL)
Supporting Partners: Fantsuam Foundation and Centre for Media Literacy and Community Development (CEMCOD)
In 2020, DEF and COL collaborated to take the BWE course in African countries. To achieve this, DEF selected two countries from Africa commonwealth countries – Nigeria and Uganda for the training program. The training was designed specifically for two kind of participants – the first who don’t have or limited knowledge about the community network and the second kind who are working with community radio stations. Therefore, we selected partner organisations who not only have strong reach in their communities but also have knowledge or working with community radio stations.
In Nigeria, we partnered with Fantsuam Foundation, which is working with six communities of Kafanchan region in Kaduna state. Whereas in Uganda, we partnered with CEMCOD (Centre for Media Literacy and Community Development), which works with five community radio operators in Uganda. The training partners mobilized in their communities with regard to the training. Fantsuam Foundation mobilised young students living in 10 villages of Kafanchan region, whereas CEMCOD further partnered with MamaFM for providing the training to community radio station members. Fantsuam conducted the training in its centre, whereas CEMCOD further partnered with MamaFM for conducting the training.
- More than 50 participants from two African countries – Nigeria & Uganda participated in the Barefoot Wireless Engineer (BWE) training
- Around 25 young girls and women are from two countries undergone to BWE training program
- Mama FM community radio station in Kampala selected as pilot project to setup community network and connect with CEMCOD
- Fantsuam Foundation will extend the community networks in six locations of Kafanchan region
- CEMCOD will establish the pilot network between CEMCOD and MamaFM.